07/02/2012

Hommie visits: Mon Frére Café, Thessaloniki, Greece

This Christmas I decided to leave Athens for a couple of days. And I had only one place in my mind, the lovely Thessaloniki. I have some favourite spots there and I couldn't wait to visit them! So, with great pleasure I introduce you one of my favourite cafés, the Mon Frére Café!




The first time I visited Mon Frére was last summer and I had promised to myself that one day I would return to photograph it and make it part of the Hommie visits! I kept my promise and I found Mon Frére, more beautiful than ever, festively decorated!

Mon Frére gives you the impression that you're drinking your coffee in a French bistro in the heart of Paris, but you are actually at Thessaloniki's centre, just two blocks from the square of Aristotle. I met with the owner, Anna Beneva, who told me that she has decorated the café by herself. According to her: 'I was inspired by my trips abroad and by my desire to create a space that resembles a home's living room. A space that would be cozy and friendly offering special gourmet products and great coffee quality.' The knowledge from her architects' and  designers' environment with her innate taste and the influences from abroad led her to create the first Mon Frére in 2006.


The decoration reminds French café with the total-white aesthetic, its beige-white wallpaper and the checkered floor. At the entrance there's a big white wooden counter with marble worktop, on which you can find glass and metal cake stands with fresh sweet and savory delicacies, and some authentic French croissants. Behind the counter a huge wooden cabinet with glass windows, which hide glasses and porcelain jars, is placed giving the impression of a kitchen. The decoration is complemented with pendant lamps from vintage hand-painted glass spheres, sconces on the walls and carved wooden tables with white Viennese chairs.


When the weather is good you can sit outside at the, also French-style, black metal furniture. It's worth to visit Mon Frére, a maison de café that gives great importance to the details. Personally I give extra points to Mon Frére for the small cake stand filled with cookies, offered at each table  to accompany your coffee or tea! Félicitations Mon Frére!

Photographs by Petros P.

Mon Frére is located at 6, Karolou Ntil street, Thessaloniki, Greece and you can also visit its   facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment